Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 21:12:46 EEST

Len wrote:

>> >If you will be making money from a Linux-based product, then you
>> >*should* be investing your own money for promotion.
>>
>> I am. What's your point?

>Other people (people who are not in business) need not and likely won't
>invest money to promote Linux Audio.

>People here invest their time and effort (but usually not money for
>promotion), mostly because they're techies who want to to build
>something that they really need/want. Businesses invest money for
>another reason, because they want to develop and promote commercial
>products. They're mostly two different worlds (though there is
>crossover).

Would you agree that the commercial side of Linux Audio development is
not currently showing much support for the community then? Would you
consider it to be partly (if not largely) because there is an image problem.

>> I have a small business and there are others out there in similar
>> positions. We don't have the financial resources to fund large scale
>>ad campaigns on our own. But we do if we work together.

>Perhaps there's no need to promote Linux Audio; perhaps instead there
>is a need to promote useful products. If those products happen to need
>Linux (and ALSA & Jack) as a foundation, then Linux will get promoted
>as a side effect of successful products. Much like MacOS.

>So if you want Linux Audio to be promoted, either make broadly useful
>products or assist the companies that want to turn your work into
>broadly useful products.

Are you making an offer? ;)

While trawling then net today looking at the google search on the word
"sound". I saw your site was listed in the first few pages. That's some
tough competition there.

If we had a community run organisation that lead by example do you think
it would make you feel more motivated to promote Linux as a platform to
your customers? Esp. If you could show them that your company has an
active part in supporting the community?

Eg. Official status in the form of certification or advertising space,
naming rights, awards in your honour...

BTW. Would you like to add your Company to the Tech Support database?

http://www.djcj.org

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

"Um...symbol_get and symbol_put... They're kindof like does anyone remember like get_symbol and put_symbol I think we used to have..." - Rusty Russell in his talk on the module subsystem