Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]
From: Peter L Jones (peter_AT_drealm.org.uk)
Date: Fri Oct 25 2002 - 00:50:39 EEST

On Thursday 24 Oct 2002 18:32, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Peter L Jones wrote:
[snip]

> > I don't want to have to learn about DSPs and stuff to be able to identify
> > a _good_ sound card. I've currently got a shortlist for my next machine:
> > * MidiMan Delta Audiophile 2496 (Envy24)
> > * VideoLogic SonicFury OEM (CS4360)
> > * Creative SB PCI 128 (ES1371)
> >
> > I've read the specs and looked around various review sites. Nothing
> > anywhere tells me how well they're going to work. Or does it? Am I
> > failing to find some secret source of information?
>
> As I just wrote on the pd-list, I have very good experience with the
> built-in sound on nforce-cards. The msi k7n420pro and asus a7n266-vm.
> 128 frames per period in jack works totally fine for realtime
> recording/processing/playing. Even 64 frames nearly works fine.

Kjetil,

Thanks for that -- I'm planning on either the MSI or ASUS m/board but I forget
currently whether the dual board have the built in audio (nevermind - good
info anyway). I was thinking of keeping the ES1371 from my existing machine
for low-end stuff, then remembered I might be getting built in audio, so it's
good to know it's good enough.

In fact, I may forego the Audiophile for now...

-- Peter