Re: [linux-audio-dev] Wave Editors

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Wave Editors
From: David Gerard Matthews (dgm4+@pitt.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 26 2002 - 06:10:17 EEST

Steve Harris wrote:

>>gnoise doesn't do this, and neither does snd. i am not sure about
>>audacity, but i suspect it doesn't either.
>>

>Audacity, and glame use disk paging.
>
>IMHO sweep has the best UI (speed, clarity, usability), its a shame about
>the RAM thing, but maybe thats why its so fast.
>
>- Steve

There was an article on Audacity's disk paging system in the summer 2002
issue of the Computer Music Journal
(http://mitpress2.mit.edu/e-journals/Computer-Music-Journal/Documents/Contents/html/fr-26-2.html);
unfortunately only an abstract is available online. [I did glimpse at
it in a library last week, but not long enough to really grok the
explanations of how it works.]
-dgm