Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ann] unmatched - a LADSPA amp tone

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ann] unmatched - a LADSPA amp tone
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 02:33:26 EET

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 11:03:23PM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
> Whats a typical arangement for speaker cones? I remeber seeing single cone
> (obviously) and 2x2.

1, 2, and 4 are the most common. It's common to only
mic 1 of the cones, pretty close up - but it's also common
to do any bizarre combination of mics and placements you can
think of.

Then there's the old Ampeg SVT - the bane of many a bass player's
back. The cabinet had 8 10" speakers, weighed nearly 200 lbs,
and could induce loose bowels at 1000 paces. ;)

The main trick with mic placement is that, when you close mic
a speaker, it sounds very different in the middle than it
does near the edge. Have you played with this much?

> The killer plugin would model the acoutstics of a studio when you've just
> got in from the pub, its 2am, you've just created a really great sound and
> you're too drunk to find a blank DAT ;)

It would have to call an at script to make it sound awful when you
next come in to the studio ;).

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com "Welcome to Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"