Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ann] unmatched - a LADSPA amp tone

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ann] unmatched - a LADSPA amp tone
From: Tim Goetze (tim_AT_quitte.de)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 20:42:04 EET

Steve Harris wrote:

>I don't know its hard to seperate phase effects from waveshaping, thats
>why it needs FFTing. Onve we have the aproximate harmonic series we can
>simulate that with a cheby, and if neccesary put the phase back with an
>allpass or two.

ok, i'm slowly beginning to understand this i think. you mean
you plan to generate the harmonics with a time domain shaper
(like beloved valve_1209) and then 'shape the freq domain' with
the chebyshev?

if this is what you mean, i'm not sure how different it will
sound across the input frequency range. for a guitar, we have
close to three octaves, and if the chebyshev has a static
frequency response, there will be noticeable difference afaict.

though i may have a wrong picture here.

>Generally phase effects aren't really audible, but they may react with
>distortion etc. to make a difference.

i don't think phase shifting will make a difference (and if
it does, it's good to know you can fix it ;)

tim