Re: [linux-audio-dev] I think that what he means is even more important than recognition...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] I think that what he means is even more important than recognition...
From: Paul Davis (paul_AT_linuxaudiosystems.com)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 01:15:32 EET

>> at what point do you expect Digidesign TDM plugins
>> to fall by the wayside?
>
>DigiDesign may be the special case here, assuming that
>Avid stays independent -- the ProTools business model
>offers them refuge from consolidation forces, being
>hardware-restricted and embraced by the high end.

true. though this angle will hit MOTU the hardest. they haven't been
embraced by the high end, yet for some reason decided to stick to
their own plugin API (MAS). on the other hand, AFAICT, MAS has no
presence in their hardware, so its really just a matter of making DP
and its baby cousins use The New Standard Cross-Platform Industry Wide
Plugin API.

>Avid's market cap is 370M -- an order of magnitude
>higher than what Apple paid for Emagic, but still
>digestable for the likely suitors (Microsoft and
>Adobe).

the anti-trust implications of MS owning Avid are interesting.

the other important angle to a standardized plugin API are the designs
being poured in silicon (particularly Universal Audio). people will
heavy DSP loads but a committment to "native" platforms find these
things quite attractive, and it may require a complete re-engineering
of these add-on hardware units at some level (probably not that hard,
though).

--p