RE: [linux-audio-dev] Viable multi-channel audio I/O boards for Linux ?

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Viable multi-channel audio I/O boards for Linux ?
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 21:30:51 EET

Paul,
   You are correct! I'm sorry. I went back and looked at the email I
received. He actually said you could buy two PCI cards and link them under
ASIO. My mistake. I'm was not at all attracted to that solution for the
obvious reasons of cost, syncing, heat and interrupts on more cards. Yuck.

   However, if you're correct and RME is just moving standard 1394 packets,
then even with their own protocol you could just use a standard 1394 hub
between a single adapter card and two breakout boxes. That could work and
would only run about $50. It would require that RME be able to keep track of
multiple boards on a single 1394 bus, but that's no big deal really. I
should ask Matthias at RME. Worth looking into for this application for
sure. (P.S. - I do 1394 for a living...)

   I'll have to look in my notes about the competitors to the AI-3. There
are a couple now that are lower priced I think. RME supports 96K across
pairs of ADAT lines. I wonder if they support 16 22K channels across a
single channel? ;-)

Mark