RE: [linux-audio-dev] Interesting USB MIDI master keyboards, do t he work with Linux ?

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Interesting USB MIDI master keyboards, do t he work with Linux ?
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 21:38:13 EET

> AFAIK the Oxygen8 does not behave as a standard usb midi device, it uses a
> "Midiman protocol" instead, so the standard drivers don't know what to do
> with it. If you connect it and do an lsusb -v you don't see much...

Ok if the Edirol keyboards support standard MIDI then there shouldn't be any
problems using them under Linux, but since USB has a much bigger bandwidth
than serial MIDI, I that the timing for notes that belong to large chords is
more precise. Can someone confirm this ?
BTW: the Midiman site lists Linux as an OS in their driver search page but
nothing comes up when searching for product drivers.
Is their stance very closed ? Do they not even release specs ?

cheers,
Benno

--
http://linuxsampler.sourceforge.net
Building a professional grade software sampler for Linux.