[linux-audio-dev] Help on threads needed

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Help on threads needed
From: Dave Griffiths (dave_AT_pawfal.org)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 17:40:15 EET

Hi all,

I'm just trying to tweak SpiralSynthModular's threads to be a bit more
efficient, and I can't seem to find much info regarding thread priorities and
such.

I have two threads, a GUI one and an audio one. I can hand the audio thread
over to Jack which works fine, but I'd also like to be able to run ssm in
normal user mode and standalone without jack. I think I have two questions:

1. Is there any way to prioritise the threads running as a normal user
(SHED_OTHER) my man pages suggest not, which is quite annoying. Should I
"nice" the GUI thread down in priority?

2. What is the correct setup for SHED_FIFO? What priorities should I run the
audio and GUI threads at, and should the GUI thread use SHED_FIFO too?

Thanks for putting up with my ignorance :)

Dave

: www.pawfal.org :