re:[linux-audio-dev] Open Music

Subject: re:[linux-audio-dev] Open Music
From: assayag gerard (Gerard.Assayag_AT_ircam.fr)
Date: Fri Nov 08 2002 - 16:23:03 EET

> From: David Gerard Matthews <dgm4+@pitt.edu>
> To: linux-audio-dev_AT_music.columbia.edu
> Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Open Music
> Date: 25 Oct 2002 23:39:57 -0400
>
> Is anyone working on this: http://www.ircam.fr/equipes/repmus/OpenMusic?
> Apparently they GPL'd the sources, and you can download it, but it's
> written in Lisp, and MCL PPC Lisp at that. However, as they put it:
>
> "At the beginning, this will make sense only to people owning the
> Digitool compiler. Although we are conscious that this limitation does
> not fit clearly into the GPL framework, we think that making the sources
> available is an oppurtunity to raise collaborations leading to new
> versions of OM that would depend only on open sources compiler,
> particularly on linux platforms"
>
> I did speak with some Ircam people at Darmstadt this past summer, and I
> don't think they really have the interest in doing the port themselves.
> However, Ircam certainly isn't anti-Linux, so they might be
> able/willing to help/be persuaded to work on it. (François, and
> Norbert, if you're on this list, feel free to comment.)
>
> -dgm

Until now, we did'nt have the internal resources to develop a full
linux version of OpenMusic. However a fragmental prototype of
OM/Linux based on cmucl had been developed by Camilo Rueda and his
team at Cali Univsersity in Colombia. See
http://escher.puj.edu.co/openmusic/
Things are changing now, thanks to the Agnula (A GNU Linux Audio
Distribution) project. This project is funded by the European
Commission, coordinated by Tempo Reale in Florence, and involves
Ircam (coordinator : Francois Dechelle) as a partner. See
http://www.agnula.org/
Thanks to Francois Dechelle's support, we may now envision the
integration of OmLinux in the following monthes, as well as the
definition of a coherent development strategy between OMLinux and
OM/OsX.
More info to come soon...

Gérard Assayag
Music Representation Team