Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Sat Nov 09 2002 - 03:29:00 EET

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 07:06:47PM -0500, David Gerard Matthews wrote:
> not true. And of course, there is the whole (somewhat
> discredited by present economic circumstances) argument that you *can*
> make money of off free software.

there are some business models that seem to work.
Zope Corporation and Reportlab both seem to be doing OK,
largely on the "give away the software but charge a bundle
for support and consulting" model.
Of course, for both of them, "the software" consists
of development tools. I don't know of anyone who's tried
this model with end-user audio software.

> I would shell out for a fully-functional version of Ardour if Paul
> decided to charge $400 for it,

I would too. In fact, i'd be a LOT happier doing that
for open source software than for proprietary software.

hmm... how much would you shell out for the *current* Ardour,
knowing its current rate of improvement (pretty darn quick)?
there's a paypal account set up for donations.
Think i'll head over there myself...

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com "Welcome to Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"