Re: [linux-audio-dev] Looking for some PR stuff related to Jack

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Looking for some PR stuff related to Jack
From: Jack O'Quin (joq_AT_io.com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 03:48:00 EET

"Ivica Bukvic" <ico_AT_fuse.net> writes:

> Pardon my ignorance, as well as probably beating a dead horse, but I
> would appreciate just a quick insight as to why is out-of-process client
> better than in-process, or if not, why is ardour geared towards being
> out-of-process app, when (at least judging from the info I've gotten so
> far) in-process stuff provides so much better performance?
>
> I am completely clueless on this seemingly low-level issue so any quick
> insight would be greatly appreciated!

There were several reasons, but the main issue was the inablility of
current Linux GUI toolkits to share an address space. Giving each
application in its own process allows it to use any user interface
tools it wants, independent of other applications' choices.

Check the list archives for a full discussion of this and other
issues. It was an interesting discussion.

Regards,

--
  Jack O'Quin
  Austin, Texas, USA