[linux-audio-dev] Re: OSX

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: OSX
From: Bill Schottstaedt (bil_AT_ccrma.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 14:21:50 EET

> it's much easier to port from Un*x to OSX
> than vice versa. A far greater number of
> *nix libraries have been ported from the *nix world to OSX than the
> other way around. You can even run X windows
> on OSX

I think "OroboroSX", or some such name, is an X window manager
for OSX that makes X apps fit in with Mac apps so it's not
obvious which style is running. Gtk and Motif have been ported,
so the GUI is not a big issue. The audio side is still primitive,
but easy to use. Porting Snd took a few days, mostly spent
chasing down dumb things like the -framework loader switch.
I'd say it took about the same effort overall as porting
to the Sun.