Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler vs Halion PR war

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler vs Halion PR war
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 16:31:17 EET

[on nemesys patent issues, from Sound On Sound]

"Sadly, this [HALion's disk prechaching] has caused rumblings behind the
 scenes about possible patent infringement, since Nemesys are "the
 exclusive MI licensee of Conexant Systems Inc", whose Endless Streaming
 technology has "US and International Patents related to utilisation of
 mass storage devices for real-time, low-latency access of musical
 instrument digital samples". As a licensee, Nemesys themselves don't own
 the patent, but Conexant will no doubt be taking a close look at how
 HALion streams its data. I've also heard several industry rumours
 suggesting that Emagic's promised EXS24 disk streaming, originally slated
 for inclusion in the Logic Audio v4.7 update, was postponed for a similar
 reason. We'll have to wait and see what happens."

From http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/sep01/articles/halion0901.asp

Do we know what Steinberg did about this, if anything?

- Steve