Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler vs Halion PR war

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler vs Halion PR war
From: David Burrows (snadge_AT_ugh.net.au)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 17:06:58 EET

Forgive me for sounding rather naive, but anyway.

If you come up with an idea, blissfully unaware that there is a patent on
it. How can that patent be valid? For example, as a programmer and audio
enthusiast I have never even heard of Gigasampler or Halion. However, I
have come to the logical conclusion that you would need to pre-cache audio
data from disk before sending it to the sound device in small fragments to
avoid the sound breaking up due to the latency of accessing those samples
from disk... phew

I hardly see this idea as original, or patentable, its just plain and
simple logic. Fair enough if you stole their exact implementation line
for line, but we're implementing this with open source in mind for an
entirely different platform and not for profit.

Bottom line, screw them and their patent. Let them send their lawyers
after you, who cares. If it comes to that, post an article to slashdot
about it and get people from russia etc to mirror it. Anyone who posts
messages on a developer forum about patent issues isn't a real programmer
anyway, a real programmer wouldn't give a stuff and write the code
anyway.. =) What are we, patent fearing wimps or real men?

More than my two cents, ;)

Dave.