Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler vs Halion PR war

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler vs Halion PR war
From: Simon Jenkins (sjenkins_AT_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 21:26:20 EET

Richard A. Smith wrote:

>In in case anyone is really interstested. I have the patent history
>of both patents held by Conexant/Rockwell. It's pretty vague, dry,
>boring stuff to read.
>
>I bought them a while ago with the intention of issueing a request
>for re-exam claiming that there was sufficient prior-art. But the
>with some "unofficial" talks with a Patent laywer doing this could
>actually strengthen the patent if it were to pass again. So I think
>I'll just wait and let the big boys hash this one out.

The big boys might fight amongst themselves about this stuff at the
moment, but if free software ever starts to seriously threaten them
they could very quickly forget their differences, gang up, and start
licensing the patents to/from each other.

Does a patent get stronger if you're actually earning money from it?

Simon Jenkins
(Bristol, UK)