RE: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler vs Halion PR war

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler vs Halion PR war
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 16:51:00 EET

Tim,
   It isn't my intention to flame you, but has anyone here actually read and
studied the patent? Have you? I haven't. Someone said they had a copy? Let's
hear a listing of what the actual patent claims are before we create a
defense.

   I would guess that none of the technologies you mention violate the
patent or else Rockwell would be doing what Philips or Apple or Intel or IBM
is doing. Making money on it. BTW - I don't think any of these technologies
have been streaming from HTTP hosts for that long. The net was pretty much
useless for this stuff in 1996. That's only 6 years ago. When was this
Rockwell patent issued? More importantly, when was it applied for AND when
was it invented? That's what makes a difference in US patent law.

   Before we make up reasons why this patent isn't valid, someone needs to
actually read the darn thing. Patents get thrown out all the time, after
being issued, when someone presents prior art to the Patent Office that
shows it shouldn't have been issued and the patent officers agree.

   Until then this is just wasted bandwidth.

   Of course, if you just want to rant, I'm up for that too. ;-)

Mark