Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]
From: Len Moskowitz (vze24hrw_AT_verizon.net)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 18:16:35 EET

"Mark Knecht" <markknecht_AT_attbi.com> wrote:

> ...Are you saying you can't
> find developers to hire? Or are you saying you only want to hire them for
> the duration of the project design? The former take a real monetary
> commitment to put people on staff. That's pretty difficult financially.

Most audio companies (with few exceptions) are very small and don't hire
software engineers as full-time staff. They hire them as contractors, for
consulting or development-to-specification on a specific project.

> ...I'd pay regular retail prices
> for any program that could compete with Logic, Pro Tools or Cubase SX on
the
> Linux platform. As a user I feel a bit trapped that I can't get the
software
> I want today AT ANY PRICE on Linux because the open source model makes it
> hard for companies to make the investment.

IMO, companies would make the investment if they perceived that Linux
provided a significant customer base unreached by Windows. I'd guess that's
one of the reasons Apple is promoting OS-X to the Unix/Linux world.

Len Moskowitz
Core Sound