Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]
From: Paul Davis (paul_AT_linuxaudiosystems.com)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 20:44:11 EET

>> nobody has ever offered or even talked about hiring me as an
>> employee. only 2 companies have talked about using me as a
>> consultant. i think its reasonable to conclude that the offers of work
>> are not out there at this point in time.
>
>For DAW applications, you're probably right.

that's not really what i meant. anybody who has read this list over a
reasonably period of time or who conducts a rudimentary lookup on my
name using google will very rapidly get the impression that i'm
probably available for any consulting projects related to linux, audio
and MIDI. and indeed, i've done a couple. but thats it. no other
offers, no discussions, no companies wanting to tap the information
and perspective i might have after spending 3+ years working mostly
full time on this stuff.

one would have to conclude that companies are not really interested.

>To attract commercial attention, a Linux audio application would have to
>offer either a unique feature (or group of features) that's commercially
>attractive or a significant customer base unreached by Windows/OS products.

1) "it doesn't crash. ever." [ well, OK, but we're getting there. ]
2) "its will never be made obsolete by an OS vendor's business decisions."

most people i know consider these fairly commercially attractive.

--p