[linux-audio-dev] finding info on sound cards

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] finding info on sound cards
From: iain (iain_AT_prettypeople.org)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 12:00:02 EET

For a couple of projects I need to be able to find out information about
the sound cards installed on the system, but as I need to run on lots of
different systems I need it to be fairly portable. Before I start
writing something to do it, I figured I'd check to see if there's
anything already in progress that can do the same.

What I need is to be able to get a list of sound cards on the system,
and information about them (like the names), and then to get a list of
the channels each sound card has and information on them (current level,
name (if it has one), if it's a record source etc), and finally to be
able to control the channels, change the level, change if it's the
current record source.

Is there a library that can do this all available anywhere, or will I
have to write it myself? Would it be a useful thing to have in a
library?

iain

--
"The 'developed' nations gave to the 'free market' the status of a god,
sacrificing to it their farmers, farmlands, and communities, their