Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 23:27:24 EET

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 09:44:12 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > Hoever
> > making sure htat the API is scale neutral (unlike generic MIDI) is
> > important. I'm not sure what the best way to ensure this is.
>
> I use "linear pitch". 1.0 would be your MIDI standard middle C. +1.0
> would give you the next higher semitone, and +12.0 would give you the
> next higher octave.

Thats somewhat semitone biased, if we use +1.0 is middle C, +2.0 is one
octave higher then we are tuning neutral, and, coincidentally compatible
with 1.0volt/octave analogue synths.

> Well, then there's no problem. It's just that if we design an API for
> simple instruments, I can quarantee that it won't be too long before
> we're here again, discussing a third API for "advanced instruments".
> (That will probably happen anyway, but we can at least *consider*
> covering what we know already.)

Well, no, because for advanced instruments (eg. a full featured sampler)
we have jack.

> Or we just design an event system and strap that onto JACK as well as
> a stripped version of LADSPA. :-)

I think its reasonable to expect a jack app to be able to natively
understand MIDI/OSC/CV/whatever.

- Steve