Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)
From: David Olofson (david_AT_olofson.net)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 19:25:20 EET

On Thursday 05 December 2002 16.43, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 04:10:16PM +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > > I'm not sure how this can be handled easily, there are lots of
> > > things like loading samples that will be impossible to handle
> > > in an RT way, but I'm not sure that something like a sampler
> > > belongs in this kind of API. I know there are VSTi samplers,
> > > but windows people dont have jack.
> >
> > Well, they have ReWire, but AFAIK, that supports only the "load
> > as DLL and run as callback" method...
>
> And it doesn't appear to be as successful, Cubase and Protools dont
> use it for thier primary i/o for example (c.f. Muse and Ardour).

Well, that's to be expected. Win32 DLLs are a mess, and implementing
entire applications as DLLs probably brings in a whole lot of extra
problems. And if you're doing DLL + callbacks anyway, why not just
use VSTi or DXi? Guess that explains most of it.

.- Coming soon from VaporWare Inc...------------------------.
| The Return of Audiality! Real, working software. Really! |
| Real time and off-line synthesis, scripting, MIDI, LGPL...|
| The Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |