Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)
From: David Olofson (david_AT_olofson.net)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 02:26:27 EET

On Sunday 08 December 2002 01.03, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 09:26:12 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > > Yes, more or less. I was using instrument as in VSTi
> > > instrument, ie an instance of a thing instantiated from a .so
> > > file. The word plugin is far too overloaded.
> >
> > Ok. (But VSTis can be multichanne/multipart, AFAIK.)
>
> OK, but thier still instruments :)

Yes - but there's only one instance for N channels. :-)

> > The word "plugin", AFAIK, simply refers to something you plug
> > into an application - it's not limited to DSP plugins or
> > generators, and doesn't even have to have anything to do with
> > audio. It's just the music industry that has hijacked the word.
> > :-)
>
> Sure, sure. But it has been hijacked, theres not much point trying
> to un-hijack it.

Right. I still think instruments are a *subset* of plugins, but I
guess we'll have to think of a new word if we want something that
people in general actually interpret that way.

Units? Which would actually be more correct, since that would include
JACK clients (running as separate processes) and the like, which are
*not* plugins, IMHO.

| The Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |