Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: SILENT event handling

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: SILENT event handling
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 15:55:22 EET

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 01:01:02PM +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> So, the SILENT event would need Bay and Channel (but not Slot)
> fields, in order to tell the host (or who ever gets the event) which
> audio output just went silent.

I was assuming the SILENT event would be aginst a voice ID.

> That way, you could use the plugin API for things like
> audio-to-disk-thread "gateways" for recording and that kind of stuff,
> without forcing the host to be involved in the details.

That will only work if all your instruments procduce SILENT events and you
recevie all the relevent VOICE_ON events though. Is this even possible? I
bet I can think of a processing graph where it isn't resolvable.
Paticularly if you allow LADSPA plugins in the graph.

For this and the other reasons you mentioned I dont think this is not
possible/practical.

- Steve