Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP and Event Outputs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP and Event Outputs
From: Paul Davis (paul_AT_linuxaudiosystems.com)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 21:31:08 EET

>> I assume that if the host loops, or the user jumps back in
>> song-position, time does not jump with it, it just keeps on
>> ticking?
>
>Yes. You can't rewind *time*, can you? ;-)
>
>Seriously though, the reason to do it this way is that timestamp time
>is directly related to "audio time" (ie sample count) - and in a real
>time system, it just keeps running all the time. I don't see a reason
>to stop time, kill the audio, stop all plugins etc etc, just because
>you stop the *sequencer*!

no, but there are a *lot* of things that plugins, particularly
instrument plugins, might want to do that are based on musical time or
even just transport time. the free-running sample count time is
irrelevant for many things. when you ask a plugin to start the release
phase of a note off at a certain time, its often not based on the
sample count but on musical time. if you stretch the tempo while the
note sounds, it should still start the release phase when it reaches
the correct musical time, not some arbitrary sample count.

i will be talking more about this issue at the LAD meeting in
karlsruhe (plug, plug :)

--p