Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP and Event Outputs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP and Event Outputs
From: Tim Goetze (tim_AT_quitte.de)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 01:08:12 EET

David Olofson wrote:

>> thats a mistake, i think. there are some definite benefits to being
>> able to define events' time in musical time as well.
>
>Like what? Since we're talking about sample accurate timing, isn't
>asking the host about the musical time for an event timestamp
>sufficient for when you want that information?

like tempo changes without recalculating all later event
times -- this also allows prequeuing without emptying and
reloading the queues on tempo change. in general, it makes
all timing calculations (quantization, arpeggiators etc)
one level easier, and they do tend to get hairy quickly
enough.

>Note that I'm talking about a low level communication protocol for
>use in situations where you would otherwise use LADSPA style control
>ports, or audio rate control streams. These are *not* events as
>stored inside a sequencer.

but you'll probably end up wanting to use a sequencer to
store and/or (re)generate them, based on musical time.

tim