Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: Pitch control

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: Pitch control
From: David Olofson (david_AT_olofson.net)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 02:39:12 EET

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 00.33, Steve Harris wrote:

> > > I thought sequencers were going to send note numbers?
> >
> > Sequencers are going to store pitch in the form of floats. The
> > argument is about whether these should be in 1.0/note or
> > (1/12)/note format. (And this has nothing to do with scales or
> > notes/octave; it's <something>/note, period.)
>
> Well, some sequencers will want to work in pure ptich and not care
> about notes at all (probably not many, but some).

Yeah. Well, you could just tell your editor (if any) that you want to
use 1 note/octave, and use a standard sequencer without scale
converters. :-)

> > > The tone/scale magic is hardly ever useful though, it it forces
> > > everyone else to work around a factor of 12.
> >
> > Or forces a few (or so we seem to thing) to work around a factor
> > of 1/12...
>
> Sure, but its fewer.

Considering that I hardly ever use any "MIDI plugins", I would think
so too. (This might change when I find some that can actually do
something useful.)

> > Either way, this is the situation: We have to pick *two* out of
> > three good things:
> >
> > 1. 1.0/octave
> > 2. 1.0/note
> > 3. No conversions for 12tET.
> >
> > I think I would pick 1 + 2, and accept that conversion is
> > required whenever you want to drive 1.0/octave from 1.0/note, but
> > you rejected that.
>
> Did I? That wasn't my intention. I'm happy as long as pitch is
> 1.0/octave, if notes are 1.0/note too then thats even better.
>
> The host callback thing was just a suggestion to avoid the use of
> scale converters.

I see. (Sorry about the confusion - this has been a rather long
thread, and I was rather tired last night... :-)

Anyway, given that a converter plugin instance can only ever be
called once per buffer, and could potentially handle multiple
channels, I'm sure it will be quite a bit faster than host callbacks
when it actually matters: when you're flooded with events.

| The Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |