Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: Pitch control

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: Pitch control
From: David Olofson (david_AT_olofson.net)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 21:05:05 EET

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 18.26, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 04:35:16 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > > Maybe. My objection to converters is more that they imply two
> > > parallel representations of frequency (in the broad sense of
> > > the word), which seems like a mistake.
> >
> > They are not parallel. One actually *is* frequency, while the
> > other expresses pitch in relation to a scale.
> >
> > It's like comparing inline code with calls through function
> > pointers, basically.
>
> I dont see how, its more like having a string and int
> representation of the same thing.

No, not unless the string representation is supposed to translate in
a number of different ways, depending on what character table you use.

In code, for linear_pitch:

        actual_pitch = linear_pitch;

whereas for note_pitch (simplified; no interpolation):

        actual_pitch = scale[note_pitch];

There is only one valid relation between actual pitch and linear
pitch, while the relation between actual pitch and *note* pitch is
user defined.

| The Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |