Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP and Event Outputs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP and Event Outputs
From: Tim Goetze (tim_AT_quitte.de)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 23:26:28 EET

David Olofson wrote:

>> so eventually, you'll need a different event system for
>> plugins that care about musical time.
>
>No. You'll need a different event system for plugins that want to
>look at future events.

which is an added level of complexity, barring a lot of ways
to head for plugins.

>> i'm convinced it's better to design one system that works
>> for event-only as well as audio-only plugins and allows for
>> the mixed case, too. everything else is an arbitrary
>> limitation of the system's capabilities.
>
>So, you want our real time synth + effect API to also be a full-blown
>off-line music editing plugin API? Do you realize the complexity
>consequences of such a design choice?

a plugin that is audio only does not need to care, it simply
asks the host for time conversion when needed. complexity is
a non-issue here. and talking about complexity: two discrete
systems surely are more complex to implement than one alone.

i'm becoming tired of discussing this matter. fine by me if
you can live with a plugin system that goes only half the way
towards usable event handling.

tim