Re: [linux-audio-dev] Blockless processing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Blockless processing
From: Tim Goetze (tim_AT_quitte.de)
Date: Fri Dec 13 2002 - 04:21:21 EET

Steve Harris wrote:

>http://plugin.org.uk/blockless/

it's a nice little hack. the .g files don't look that messy
to me, whatever hacks may be hiding in your .pl -- which is
always a mess to my eyes.

>I went as far as defining a biquad filter in the graph format
>(http://plugin.org.uk/blockless/blockless/modules/biquad.g), but it
>dosen't quite work because the execution order is more or less random.

definitely sounds broken, yes. that garbled execution order
should be fixed.

>I used the biquad in a simple toplevel graph
>(http://plugin.org.uk/blockless/blockless/graphs/test4.g), it takes about
>50 cycles per sample on PIII (interestingly its compiles to slightly worse

it's an ok cycle count for integer noise and a biquad i think,
isn't it? but the sound it produces is useless.

i think the biquad is so common it's ok to have a .c fragment
for the operator instead of coding it in your .g language. a
generic iir generator? you can do it with some more .pl i guess.

>Its too much work to create a reasonably complex synth or anything in this
>as theres no UI and keeping all the links straight in your head is
>painful, so I dont know how well it scales up.

if you can define sub-graphs (maybe in the same file), with a
little focus you should be able to create more complex networks,
too.

i think this method could prove handy coding polyphonic soft
synths, which is where usual plug-your-graph-together-from-plugins
systems invariably add some processing overhead.

tim