Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP status : incomplete draft

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP status : incomplete draft
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Dec 14 2002 - 01:25:29 EET

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 11:47:13 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> And note that this problem occurs even in a pure 12tET net! You
> *cannot* mix plugins that thin in notes/scales with linear pitch
> based plugins in just any order, and there is no way whatsoever the
> host or users can be informed about that, unless there is a way for
> plugins to say what they expect, and what they output.

Right, so dont allow plugins to talk notes... I still dont think its
necceasry, its just programmer convienvence.

If you dont have it there cant be any compatibility problems.

> Whether you think of linear pitch as 1.0/octave or (1/12)/note, it's
> still not explicitly related to a scale, and thus, you're casting one
> type of data into another, just to be able to squeeze it through the
> API. That looks like a dirty hack to me.

No, thats right, its not explicity related to a scale, thats what makes
it so useful.

> > You can't prove a negative. I think that it's possible for it to
> > cause quite big problems, which is why I'm still harping on about
> > it.
>
> I still think *not* having it can cause a great deal of trouble.
> We're not really getting anywhere...

When? What examples did the VST people give for wanting this?

- Steve