Re: [linux-audio-dev] I need help! I can't handle the problem about full-duplex (playback & record) programming

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] I need help! I can't handle the problem about full-duplex (playback & record) programming
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 12:24:53 EET

On Sun, 2002-12-15 at 20:14, leo zhu wrote:
> Hi, Haakmat,
>
> I'm so glad to see your reply. But I'm still wondering
> how I can implement the full duplex operation on sound
> card, i.e. playback and record audio on the same card
> at same time. I don't think it's a good idea that
> reopen the device when switch between reading and
> writting, because I found it sometime took much time
> to open the device and that means the quality wouldn't
> be good. Do u have another solution to it? Anybody
> have experience with it ? I really need suggestion
> about it and I also believe there must be some tricks
> which I havn't understood.
>
> Thanks a lot anyway. This is my first question in this
> group and it's my pleasure to get your help.
>
> leo.

You may want to look into ALSA (http://www.alsa-project.org) which is
the new Linux sound architecture. Also, it would probably be good to
make sure your audio card is actually capable of full duplex and that
this feature really does work in Linux (with the drivers you decide to
code for). I can't think of any quick and easy programs to test full
duplex (anyone else have any ideas?). Good luck.
        Josh Green