Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic
From: Tim Goetze (tim_AT_quitte.de)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 03:41:56 EET

David Olofson wrote:

>On Monday 16 December 2002 21.59, Paul Davis wrote:
>[...]
>> so yes, ticks-per-beat is still necessary, but its a constant (1920
>> in ardour).
>
>I suggest 1.0/beat for XAP. (64 bit double.)
>
>One may claim that that's not an exact representation, but who cares,
>as long as it's much more accurate than what you need for sample
>accurate timing?

the good thing about 1920 is it is divisible by both 3 and 4;
this lets both triplets and even sub-beats evaluate to integer
ticks.

now even if you implement ticks as float, it does make
programming and debugging of tick arithmetics a good deal
easier.

it is a value that should be set by the host, or in turn
the user, exercising his right to make the choice.

tim