Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic
From: David Olofson (david_AT_olofson.net)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 04:06:13 EET

On Tuesday 17 December 2002 02.04, Taybin Rutkin wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Pascal Haakmat wrote:
> > I find your exposition on Indian rhythms fascinating and very
> > interesting, but I'm afraid I don't see how it relates to a
> > discussion about designing musical instruments.
> >
> > I do not believe that the goal of instrument design should be to
> > accomodate every possible musical expression under the sun. A
> > musical instrument is always part of a culture and a history and
> > this defines its use.
>
> But in this case, they're designing a system for designing
> instruments. Such a system should be able to accomodate every
> possible musical expression under the sun.

That's a very good point indeed.

We're designing and *interface*, and we're trying hard to make it as
simple as possible, and without enforcing more policy upon coders and
users that absolutely necessary.

Makind assumptions based upon western eurpean music and certain ways
of using traditional sequencer software *is* enforcing policy.

> > After all, is it preferable to have a piece of wood with the
> > potential to become any kind of instrument, or a guitar?
>
> I like this metaphor because in this case, they're trying to find
> the most generally useful peice of wood for as many instruments as
> possible.

Yes, that's also very true. My fretless guitar was just an example of
many weird (or perfectly normal - everything is relative) things you
could build.