Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic
From: Tim Hockin (thockin_AT_hockin.org)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 01:53:53 EET

> You'll need all these fields at once when sending control ramp events
> to voices, so unions won't help. The struct is exactly 32 bytes, so
> we're going to end up with 64 byte events if we add anything. On big
> deal, maybe. (64 bit platforms will need an extra 4 bytes for 'next'
> anyway.)

I think it is premature to worry about the size of events. Let's get what
data we need in there and optimize it after we're done arguing :)

> Well, you do expect a beat synced effect to track the *beat*, right?
> Now, if you have two timelines running at different tempi, which one
> do you track?

Actually, no. I can't think of anything that would track the beat if it
wasn't started on a beat. Assuming 4/4 time, and a note played on an eith
note between beats - what kind of effect would lock onto a true beat edge?
I really would expect anything to sync to a beat-width and do a (delay,
whatever), but that effect to be off by 1/2 beat because it was started by
1/2 beat off. Can you give me an example?

> They need different event types, but that applies to string and raw
> data controls as well. And this just makes them easier to handle.

I want to limit the number of special case events. If we have to special
case this stuff, then I'm going to argue against controls again :)

> Do you expect a synth to play anything but some default frequency,
> without pitch input? :-)

Umm, more or less, yes. A simple sample player with no pitch control would
just play the sample. A whitenoise generator would make noise but not have
any sense of pitch.