Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic
From: Tim Hockin (thockin_AT_hockin.org)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 03:49:18 EET

> > - the plugin needs to have some events queued in musical time
> > reference (tick) to be able to anticipate tempo changes no known at
> > the time the event was scheduled (eg. for synching he position)
>
> Yes.

> My argument againt building it into the host:
>
> What do you do with events that "fall outside" as a result of an
> "unexpected" event? Throw them away? (And leave hanging notes.)
> Squeeze them in? (And trig something out of sync.) Squeeze them in,
> but align them to some note value?
>
> The plugin most probably knows, or the user can tell it what's best

Well, if this is really important, perhaps something to the effect of

host->abs_scrow(plugin, tick_num, event_queue, value);

The plugin requests that the host deliver an event to the particular queue
when we hit a specific abolute tick time (host turns it into audio time for
event delivery, of course). If the transport jumps (i.e. a loop) the escrow
is discarded. Plugins can do this on their own and just observe TRANSPORT
events, too. It just needs to be EASY (e.g. in the SDK).

> something that you can wrap in a trivial "host->enqueue_event()"
> call. If a generic implementation is at all useful, it should be an
> optional part of the plugin SDK.

right.