Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: Strings and Raw Data Controls

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: Strings and Raw Data Controls
From: Tim Goetze (tim_AT_quitte.de)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 16:02:36 EET

Steve Harris wrote:

>> > Data blocks that will be need in an RT context (eg. bulk parameter
>> > pasing) can be allocated ahead of time.
>>
>> How? A plugin can't know what it will send until it's in process() -
>> and then it's too late...
>
>Well if its always sending 256 floats as a parameter it know its going to
>be 256*sizeof(float) vytes long, so it can preallocate a buffer that bit.
>
>I guess the problem is that it doesn't know when to reallocate a new one.

the solution i use is to allocate n events with every output port
instantiated (n being fixed thereafter). all event info can be
changed as the event travels the network; all except the field
that says where it originated from. from the node that eventually
consumes the event it is returned it to this origin, ie. the output.

tim