Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: Plugin: "But I'm not ready!"

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: Plugin: "But I'm not ready!"
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 17:18:35 EET

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 02:53:50PM +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> You move the play position marker.
>
> Plugins get the position changes from the timeline,
> and those that need to, do their best to prebuffer
> audio data from disk, or whatever. While doing that,
> the put a "1" on their "READY" Control Outputs, that
> are connected to the transport control.
>
> You press "Start".
>
> The transport control simply waits until it has
> received a "0" from each one of the "READY" Controls
> it's watching. Then it actually starts the sequencer.
> If there are no READY Controls in the net, the
> sequencer will just start instantly.

I'm wondering if this can't be handled better in a non RT manner, like
the activate call in LADSPA, but with the addition of some kind of time
position.

The plugin will likly have to flush its internal buffers anyway, so it
might just be easier and cleaner to do it outside the normal RT context.

- Steve