Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic
From: David Olofson (david_AT_olofson.net)
Date: Thu Dec 19 2002 - 22:30:46 EET

On Thursday 19 December 2002 21.17, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 04:15:26 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > They actually make *more* sence as an audio format, since there,
> > it can have a real effect on performance. That's only really
> > relevant for old or low end hardware, though. (That's why
> > Audiality does it - but only in the real time synth. I'm simply
> > not motivated enough to implement the off-line oscillators in
> > fixed point... *heh*)
>
> Right, but on current (PIV and AthlonXP) float is slightly faster,
> and significantly so on the next generation Intel chips.

Yeah - and I'm not even sure I'm going to do much integer stuff in
Audiality from now on, *despite* scalability being a major priority.
Performance isn't really a problem until you're on old Pentium
processors - and then you can't really use Audiality anyway, because
rendering a few sounds takes "ages".

The only other audio format that could be of interest for XAP could
be double, but I think that can wait until people actually start
complaining about float being insufficient. :-)

Double *controls* might actually be useful in some cases, though.
Song position demonstrates the weakness of float, but the question is
if that applies to many other things.