[linux-audio-dev] [Fwd: ams segmentation fault]

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] [Fwd: ams segmentation fault]
From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki (eric_AT_zhevny.com)
Date: Sun Dec 29 2002 - 06:16:10 EET

I don't know whether this is a bug in ams, or a problem with my
system...I suspect the later, but can't figure out what's wrong.

But, I am unable to get ams to run. It appears to compile OK. But, as
noted below, running it results in a "Segmentation fault".

I have installed qt3 and fftw. I edited the top of make_ams to match my
system:

box1:~/audio_code/ams-1.5.5$ head -5 make_ams
QT_BASE_DIR=/usr/lib/qt3
QT_LIB_DIR=$(QT_BASE_DIR)/plugins-mt/styles
QT_BIN_DIR=/usr/bin
QT_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include/qt
X11_LIB_DIR=/usr/X11R6/lib

My ditribution is Debian stable (woody). My system is a PII 400Mhz
w/768MB RAM.
The version of g++ is 2.95.4.

I have a working install of jackd 0.44.0 from cvs. I'm starting jackd
like so:

# jackd -v -R -d alsa -d ymfpci -r 44100 -zt -n 3 -p 512

I can start up multiple instances of jack_metro, connect them to the
alsa ports and hear the beeps. So, jack appears to be working.

But, if I start ams nothing is reported in the jackd output about a new
client.

ams does attempt to connect to the X server when started. I know this
because if I 'su -' to get to root and then start ams:

box1:/home/eric/audio_code/ams-1.5.5# ./ams
ams: cannot connect to X server

but, if I su without the dash so that root inherits my user environment
ams gets past the point of connecting to the X server (assuming that
comes first) and exits with a segmentation fault.

I'm not sure what other information would be useful to you in helping me
to sort this out. If there is anything else I should tell you, please
let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Eric Rz.