Re: [linux-audio-dev] 1.5 ms latency possible?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] 1.5 ms latency possible?
From: David Olofson (david_AT_olofson.net)
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 17:25:01 EET

On Thursday 02 January 2003 16.21, David Seymour wrote:
> Would it be safe to say that trying to lower latency within the
> system for monitoring purposes is simply a waste of horsepower
> given the availablilty of I/O cards with routing DSP build into
> them? I know LYNX and RME have cards that will do this.

Depends on what you mean by monitoring. These audio interfaces
generally have no DSP "effects" whatsoever, so as soon as you need
basic EQ or whatever, you're out of luck. (AFAIK, this goes for the
the cards you mentioned, as well as all Echo cards, and all Envy24
based cards.)

So, if you're using external hardware for all effects, you're
probably fine with ZLM. The audio interface will basically work like
a patch panel in your analog system.

If you do everything virtual, you can't even set up basic monitor
sound, since that usually requires at least a simple reverb. (Dry
signals and headphones don't mix...)