Re: [linux-audio-dev] Compilers

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Compilers
From: David Gerard Matthews (dgm4+@pitt.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 06:36:50 EET

Levi Burton wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>I was curious what compiler versions people have had the best luck with.
>I am currently using: gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3 2.96-113)
>
>I am considering upgrading via RPM to what appears to be 3.2
>(gcc-3.2-7.i386.rpm). Good idea? Bad Idea?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Levi

I've been using gcc-3.2 on RH 8 and it seems to do a good job. However,
I would not
recommend upgrading just the compiler, especially if you're running RH
7.3. The reason
is that you won't be able to link against any C++ libraries compiled
with the old compiler.
(Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this.) So basically
you're looking at
upgrading your whole distro or recompiling all the C++ libraries from
source.
A major pain either way. This was, incidentally, the major reason why I
upgraded
to RH 8 from 7.3.
-dgm