Re: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI Software Sampler

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI Software Sampler
From: David Gerard Matthews (dgm4+@pitt.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 00:54:32 EET

STEFFL, ERIK (SBCSI) wrote:

> also, alsa is linux only, isn't it?
>
> erik

There was a QNX port, iirc, but I don't know what its status is.
 Seriously, though,
anything as advanced as a sampler should be using JACK. JACK currently
exists
for Linux and (I believe) Solaris, but it's not far off from OSX's
CoreAudio, so it's
already more portable than straight alsa. The only other OS I could see
anyone
possibly caring about for audio purposes is of course 'doze, and OSS
isn't going to
be any more portable to M$ than JACK or ALSA. If you really want
portability to
*BSD, HP-UX, or AIX, then feel free to use OSS, but I don't see the
point of that.
-dgm