Re: [linux-audio-dev] more on XAP Virtual Voice ID system

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] more on XAP Virtual Voice ID system
From: Tim Hockin (thockin_AT_hockin.org)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 10:48:53 EET

> > I agree entirely. If each VVID=a voice then we should just call
> > them Voice ID's, and let the event-sender make decisions about
> > voice reappropriation.
>
> Actually, they're still virtual, unless we have zero latency feedback
> from the synths. (Which is not possible, unless everything is
> function call based, and processing is blockless.) The sender never
> knows when a VVID loses it's voice, and can't even be sure a VVID
> *gets* a voice in the first place. Thus, it can't rely on anything
> that has a fixed relation to physical synth voices.

<Arguing my model>

I think it is fair to say that for a block, the sender can assume a
voice-allocation succeeds. The only time a VID is ever virtual is during
the creation block. The sender can assume that the neagtive VID exists for
that block, and at the end of the block's run() it will know whether it can
send any further events to that VID.

I think this protocol is not so insane. At least no more insane than the
VVID allocation scheme.