Re: [linux-audio-dev] more on XAP Virtual Voice ID system

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] more on XAP Virtual Voice ID system
From: David Olofson (david_AT_olofson.net)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 22:46:21 EET

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 09.15, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > It's just that there's a *big* difference between latching
> > control values when starting a note and being able to "morph"
> > while the note is played... I think it makes a lot of sense to
> > allow synths to do it either way.
>
> Should controls have a flag that indicates whether they are
> continuous vs note-on ?

They would have to be different *types*, as the semantics are totally
different.

> They can certainly be both or either one.

Yes, and that's my problem with it. Or rather; it's ok for synths to
be able to hint that they use controls this way, but designing the
voice addressing/allocation scheme around it has serious implications.

> It is a hint to allow the host to send init-params at init time
> only (and a hint to the user). Obviously the plugin has to ignore
> it no matter what.

Right, I think... As long as they're really just normal controls, and
work *exactly* like normal controls (apart from the way the synth
"samples" the values), this is fine.

Hosts may or may not care, though; if the user *really* wants to put
initializers some time before the actual start of notes, it's not
really a problem, although it may indeed cause some synths to waste
real voices on tracking voice controls. (That's why I suggested some
synths might want to use Virtual Voices until sound is to be
produced.)