Re: [linux-audio-dev] more on XAP Virtual Voice ID system

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] more on XAP Virtual Voice ID system
From: Tim Hockin (thockin_AT_hockin.org)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 01:59:31 EET

> Another alternative (which is looking more and more attractive to me)
> is to use 'int' instead of 'void *' for VVID entries. Then you can
> just use one value (-1) for "no voice" and another (-2) for "dead
> VVID". Other values would be physical voice indices or whatever fits
> the implementation.

It's attractive to use special values for meanings. The plugin could tell
the host that a VVID is done by setting it to a value. Same for errors.

How is this different from a plugin sending event back to the host? And
what of remote plugins? Do they have shared-memory access to the VVID table
or is it function-call based?

Tim