Re: [linux-audio-dev] (fwd) Unified Audio Plugin Architecture (Meeting)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] (fwd) Unified Audio Plugin Architecture (Meeting)
From: Jay Vaughan (seclorum_AT_mac.com)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 14:00:41 EET

>Needless to say, this would be great for us if it has an FS compatible
>licence. Do you know if theyre planning ot look at UI issues too, or just
>the DSP code?

Why wait to look at this issue? Seems pertinent to linux-audio-dev
to discuss this now ...

 From my standpoint, I'd love to see DSP processes written to a "UAPA"
have a completely text-based interface - stream in XML data, stream
it out, over a socket (what platform doesn't support this?).

This is then wrapped in whatever GUI framework/toolkit you want to
use, which in my opinion should always be *completely* separate from
the whole DSP process. If a DSP plugin, on initialization,
automatically sends out an XML block describing its parameters and
capabilities, this can be used by *any* app/environment to construct
the GUI.

No matter how you look at it, GUI standards for plugin processes will
always break somewhere. The biggest problem with all of the
different DSP plugin 'standards' out there is that they try to do two
things: DSP/GUI.

I say, UAPA should focus only on the framework required for the
actual processing work, with an interface to the GUI happening
through standardized sockets, such as XML.

--
Jay Vaughan
Access Music