Re: [linux-audio-dev] (fwd) Unified Audio Plugin Architecture (Meeting)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] (fwd) Unified Audio Plugin Architecture (Meeting)
From: Jay Vaughan (seclorum_AT_mac.com)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 15:41:25 EET

>On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 01:00:41 +0100, Jay Vaughan wrote:
> > From my standpoint, I'd love to see DSP processes written to a "UAPA"
> > have a completely text-based interface - stream in XML data, stream
> > it out, over a socket (what platform doesn't support this?).
>
>Converting between ASCII and IEEE float is two expensivefor this to be
>practical.

Well, the *data* can be transferred over the same socket in binary,
no conversion required. What I'm talking about is the definition of
the GUI in a way that is not platform-dependent.

Plugins really need to be separated from Interface properly in order
for a cross-platform plugin standard to work properly. Every one of
the existing plugin 'standards' was created in an attempt to solve
this DSP/GUI integration issue, and I think its time the problem went
away with a quick move to XML-based schemes.

SynthEd is a step in the right direction in this regard, I reckon...

--
Jay Vaughan
Access Music