[linux-audio-dev] question re: optical spdif/in cards

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] question re: optical spdif/in cards
From: Thomas Vander Stichele (thomas_AT_urgent.rug.ac.be)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 17:52:40 EET

Hi,

for a project at our radio station I need to simultaneously record two
signals coming from an Amek DMS mixer.

The signals are digital optical S/PDIF (which I assume is the same as
TOSLINK ?).

I am looking for a card or a combination of two cards that would allow me
to record both these signals at the same time under linux. Of course I'd
like to go for the cheapest stable solution possible :)

I've been looking at specs of the Hammerfall Light, it seems to feature
more than one ADAT input port, which from the docs looks to be the same
type of connector as optical spdif. I'm just not very sure from the docs
if this will really work; ie if one Hamerfall Light can record two spdif
signals simultaneously.

One Hammerfall is about in the right price range, two is probably too
expensive :)

So, basically my questions are:
a) will one hammerfall record both optical spdif signals at the same time
?
b) what other, cheaper, card is there that can record an optical spdif
input ? (I looked at some obvious choices, the hercules cards aren't
supported well enough and the sblive cards only take coaxial optical)

Thanks in advance,
Thomas

I feel like I'm at something you always say you need more time
Well I'll stay right here and I'll wait for good
until I find a love worth mine