[linux-audio-dev] Additional LADSPA hints

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Additional LADSPA hints
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 20:13:35 EET

There have been a few suggestions recently, I'l try to summarise them for
comment.

MOMENTARY. A hint to suggest that a control should behave like a momentary
switch, eg. on for as long as the user holds down the key/mouse
button/whatever. Useful for reset or sync controls for example. Would be
useful in the DJ flanger. Only applies to TOGGLED controls.

AUDIO_RATE_CONTROL. Hints than an audio control should/could be controlled
by a high time res. slider or control data, but shouldn't be connected to
the next audio signal by default. I can't think of any simple examples off
hand, but combined with MOMENTARY it could be used for sample accurate
tempo tapping.

RANDOMISABLE. Hints that its useful/meaningful to randomise the port if
the user hits a button. This is useful for the steps of control
sequencers, reverbs, and just about anything that's complex. Allows you to
specify which controls can be randomised without anything too supprising
happening to the user (eg. sudden +100dB gain would be unpleasent).

--

My comments: I really like MOMENTARY and RANDOMISABLE. AUDIO_RATE_CONTROL could be useful, but might be painful for hosts to implement. I dont have any particular use for it right now.

- Steve